Friday, June 15, 2007

My Book House



My mother got a set of My Book House as a bonus buy when she bought a set of Book of Knowledge encyclopedias probably in the early 1940s. At least, I don't remember a time we didn't have both sets. Ours was probably the 1937 edition. Sometime in the mid-1970s, I walked into a little antique store in Lakeside, OH, and saw a set for $25, a 1953 printing. It was a lot of money for something my children had probably already outgrown, but one of my siblings (with the first grandchild) had been given the family set. Our very most favorite story to cuddle on the couch with was, 'Wee wee mannie and the big big coo," because we loved to hear Mom do the accent.

    1. In the nursery
    2. Story time
    3. Up one pair of stairs
    4. Through the gates
    5. Over the hills
    6. Through fairy halls
    7. The magic garden
    8. Flying sails
    9. The treasure chest
    10. From the tower window
    11. In shining armor
    12. Halls of fame
    13. [unnumbered] In your hands; a practical guide for parents, rev. ed., 8th printing, 1951.
The covers/binding of my set are like the above photo [taken from the internet, but that is from the 60s], and the set I grew up with was dark blue. The illustrations seem unchanged. Fabulous. A child can look for hours at one painting or drawing. The early sets from the 20s had only 6 volumes. Google Olive Beaupre Miller, the editor, for her very interesting story. Her papers are at Smith College. She lived in Illinois and some years back I read a very nice biography of her in an Illinois magazine, but I can't seem to lay my hands on it.

My favorite story for Mother to read to us was "Wee wee mannie and the big big Coo," which is about a very cantankerous cow (Big Coo) that won't behave until told (by Wee Mannie) to misbehave, kick and bellow and then she does just the opposite. I don't think there was a political or pacifist subtext to it, but Mother was very smart, so who knows? She probably didn't know that in the traditional version, Big Coo is threatened with a knife and then she decides to cooperate. Olive B. Miller, the editor of My Book House, probably thought it was too violent an ending for children.



Some parts of this entry are cross posted at Collecting My Thoughts.

5 comments:

Lily Glover said...

my mother has the 1950's edition and read the stories to my sister and me. the wee wee mannie was my favorite story from this series as well for the very same reason! the scottish accent was so much fun to hear my mother attempt as a little girl.

Anonymous said...

I love these books! If you have not seen Nursery Friends from France yet, you should. www.goodwishesgreetings.com has blank cards for sale with images from My Book House

Anonymous said...

I still have the series from my father. I have no children, but the books are so lovely and bring back so many precious memories that I just couldn't give them up. The Wee Wee Manny is probably my favorite story as well. I still tell the story to my friends' kids to this day. I guess they're the reason I LOVE to read books!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the Wee Wee Manny & the Big BIG Coo. I was so lucky to get a set of Book House volumes found by my Aunt. My PawPaw/Granny would read them to me, but they had 3 kids so the original set went to one of them. The Big Coo was my favorite, 2nd-12 Dancing Princesses, and finally "Water Babies". I loved the illustrations.

Joe Conley said...

Our family had the Book House in 1934 when my father died. It had come in a beautiful little house with a taller room for books about France, Holland and Japan. There were only 6 larger volumes of the Book House itself. With no home and no place to keep it, my widowed mother gave it to an aunt. Her undisciplined kids marked and tore the books and used the house as a boat in the muddy yard.
When I was 30 years old I acquired the 12 volume set. I greatly enjoyed revisiting all of the rhymes and stories. Neither my daughter nor granddaughter had any interest in these classics, much preferring The Cat in the Hat. I am 84 now and awaiting another generation. So sad.
Joe Conley