Friday, April 16, 2010

I'll race you back to the farm--memoirs from home


This week I received a copy of "I'll race you back to the farm" written by a high school classmate of mine about her growing up and maturing years living and working and having fun on her parents' farm near Mt. Morris, Illinois. Very few small towns have as much written about them as Mt. Morris because the printing industry, first for the Church of the Brethren, then for Kable Brothers, then for Watt Publishing and for smaller independents like Murray's dad really supported the community and surrounding area for many years. A number of residents and locals have written their memoirs about growing up or living there. I think I own at least 12 books, plus I have my 4 high school year books and old church directories, plus my old photo albums and some of my parents. This will be a wonderful addition to my collection.

Nancy kept a diary many years, so I found out things about my friends and school life that either I'd forgotten or never knew--like details about the local hang-outs (where was I?) or tricks played at school. She has carefully selected photographs to illustrate her memories, so that if you grew up in the 1940s or 1950s in the rural midwest, you'll enjoy this book even if you didn't live there. You might also think, as I did, "Wow--I missed so much by not living on a farm." In a way, it's everyone's story of a time that was more quiet, but still complex and multi-layered. Today's helicopter parents will be horrified at some of the tasks children, especially farm children, used to do. Mucking stalls, digging thistles in the hot sun, driving tractors, baling hay, etc. And the discipline! Oh. My. Goodness. Our teachers actually swatted us and expected respect and good behavior.

Nancy and I were friends in grade school and we both had horses. I didn't even realize she had four horses (couldn't believe she actually sold Flicka!) because we pretty much settled into separate groups when we got to high school, and only recently through class reunions have reconnected.

This is a huge accomplishment--don't miss it if you grew up in the area! You will need to contact Nancy personally to get a copy--she has them printed as she gets orders.


With Nancy (center) and Lynne last April.

2 comments:

Don Snodgrass said...

Nice review Norma! My sister Nancy devoted many hours to writing her book and deserves great credit for her accomplishment. I read it with great interest and thoroughly enjoyed reliving all those wonderful memories.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Don Snodgrass
donsno@verizon.net
www.k4qky.com

Lynne said...

I had the honor of proofing this book...and have since spoken with classmates that have read her book-to a one they are enchanted with it. Who knows maybe there are more books in us. Better get to writing them while we can still read the print!
Good job! Lynne